What if...?

We're all living in a new world filled with uncertainty and so many "what if's". Being prepared with knowledge and a plan can help you manage this uncertainty.

Keep our community safe

Simple acts make a big difference. Keep your circle small, limit close contact, and wear a mask.

Campus safety guidelines
An illustration of two students looking up at abstract shapes, finding the answers that they are looking for

Symptoms / Being sick

What if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

Stay home. Don’t go to class or anywhere else. Start with the IU Health Virtual Screening Clinic. You’ll be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 and then do a virtual visit with an IU Health provider. If a test is necessary, IU Health will guide you to the testing location in your community.

What if I need to report a positive COVID-19 test or that I’m a close contact?

If you’ve been notified that you’re a close contact (within 6 ft of someone who tested positive for 15 or more minutes) or went to a provider outside of IU Health and received a positive COVID-19 test, you need to report it via the COVID-19 Self Report Form. As a close contact, you should quarantine for 14 days from your last exposure. If you have tested positive for COVID-19, you should isolate for at least 10 days from the time of your positive test.

What if I have to quarantine or isolate?

If you’re identified as a close contact of someone with COVID-19, you’ll be given instructions for quarantine. If you have tested positive for COVID-19, you’ll be given instructions for isolating. If you live in on-campus housing, there are options for quarantine and isolation on campus or you may return to your permanent residence. If you live off-campus, you’ll be given instructions and tips for quarantining or isolating at home.

What if my roommate is sick?

First, the person with symptoms should isolate themselves (a bedroom and bathroom to themselves), wear a mask and consult with a healthcare provider. You should quarantine in your residence until you know for sure if your roommate has tested positive. If they test positive, you will be considered a close contact and be given further information about quarantine by a contact tracer. You will need to quarantine for 14 days since you were last exposed to your roommate.

What if I have COVID-19 symptoms and need to miss class?

You should first discuss this with your instructors. It’s your responsibility to inform your instructor in writing that you will miss class(es) so that arrangements can be made. IU gives instructors the flexibility to determine their own attendance policies. Generally, faculty will allow for a certain number of missed classes.

If you are too ill to keep up with classwork or attend classes remotely, you should contact your campus's Student Affairs or Student Advocates Office, which will assist you in contacting instructors and making arrangements to make up any work you miss.

Testing

What if I’m asymptomatic but want to be tested for COVID-19?

You can set up a free test through one of the OptumServe testing sites located throughout Indiana or talk with your primary care provider. You may also be selected for asymptomatic mitigation testing through IU. Asymptomatic testing is not currently available through IU Health.

What if I get selected for mitigation testing?

You will be notified via email if you’re selected for mitigation testing. A new group of students, faculty and staff will be selected each week, so it’s important to check your IU email often. Follow the directions in the email to schedule your testing appointment. All campuses will offer testing locations on campus. If you believe you cannot or shouldn’t participate, there will be a link to an exemption request form in the email you receive.

What if I test positive?

As soon as you receive a positive test result, isolate yourself for at least 10 days from the time of your positive test. Stay home and away from others. Do not attend class, run errands or grab food out at a restaurant. If your test was done through IU or IU Health, you will be contacted by a contact tracer with further instructions and information for isolation. If your test was done by a provider outside of IU or IU Health, submit your positive test result via the COVID-19 Self Report Form and continue isolating until you are contacted with further instructions.

Contact tracing

What if I’m contacted by a contact tracer?

Answer the call (or call back if you miss the call), fully participate and answer the questions the contact tracer has for you. Be honest about where you’ve been and who your close contacts are. The information you provide to the contact tracer is confidential and will only be used to help control the spread of COVID-19. Members of the IU community are required to cooperate with the contact tracing process and failure to do so will result in disciplinary measures.

What if I’m told I’m a close contact of someone who tested positive for COVID-19?

In many cases, you will be notified by a contact tracer that you are a close contact. During the call with the contact tracer, you will be given specific details about quarantine. If you live in on-campus housing, you will be able to move into quarantine housing on campus or stay at your permanent residence. If you live off-campus, you should quarantine at your residence.

Health & Safety Guidelines

What if I see something that goes against the COVID-19 health and safety precautions?

You should report any behaviors or activities that go against what’s outlined in the Sanctions for Noncompliance with COVID-19 Health and Safety Directives policy (students, faculty/staff) using the Report Violations of IU COVID-19 Directives form. Examples of things to report include not staying home when sick or symptomatic, improperly wearing a mask, not cooperating with contact tracing or not physically distancing and gathering in large groups.

Other

What if I have more questions?

There are a number of resources available:

What if my technology doesn’t work to access my courses?

Don’t panic. Reach out to your instructors and let them know about the technology issues you’re having. Check out the tech support resources available through IU to get you back in business.